Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Brownies, two ways

I've been on a cookbook-buying binge lately--four in the last two weeks. But I just had to buy them ... they called to me, and I answered their pleas to come home with me. My most recent acquisition is the King Arthur Flour's Baking Companion, one which came highly recommended from my cookbook-buying partner in crime. So finally I purchased this tome--at 640 pages, it's no small booklet to just toss onto the shelf--but already I've discovered its wonderful ways. Tonight I made the Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies, which are dense and rich and filled with chocolate chips and fresh peanuts. They're also covered in a peanutty frosting that just oozes over the edges when warm. One must cut these in very small pieces, or risk going into sugar shock at just the thought of having a larger piece. The second recipe I made was the Almond Toffee Bars. The shortbread crust is covered in butter and sugar, sprinkled liberally with slivered almonds, and then broiled briefly until it all sets up. The liquid toffee seeps into the shortbread, making it deliciously chewy, and the almonds toast up, adding a nice crunch. These would be great with cofee or tea or even just a big glass of milk.

No comments: