Monday, October 15, 2007

Chocolate cookies are everywhere

I've been baking a lot of cookies lately--a lot a lot--and over the past three weekends I've tried three different recipes for chocolate chocolate chip cookies. All were good, but everyone had a different answer when I asked them to rank the cookies. Sadly, there are no pictures of said cookies, because they kept disappearing from the plate. In reverse order ... I made these last night. I only use Ghirardelli chips anyhow, so when this recipe for "Ultimate double chocolate chip cookies" and accompanying picture kept popping up in my cooking magazines, I had to make it. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but they were too much--too rich, too chocolatey, and too big, if formed as suggested. Last week's cookies, from the fabulous Dorie Greenspan, were my favorites. Her "Cocoa Chocolate Chip Cookies" are chocolately, chewy (even after being frozen), and quick to throw together. Finally, from Big Fat Cookies, from Elinor Klivans, I made the "Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookies," but with dried cranberries instead of cherries. I've made these many times before and they're fabulous--I just wish I could get them to stay soft and chewy after they cool (even after taking them out a bit early.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had great success keeping cookies soft by putting a slice of fresh bread in the container with them. Especially works well in "tupperware" or other airtight containers. I'm sure you know this tip and have probably tried it, but I thought I would mention it. I also use it to keep brown sugar from turning into a big hard lump--works wonderfully. I love chocolate chip cookies, they are my desert island food. :)

Kt said...

Yeah, I've tried that, but these cookies just don't want to behave. It hasn't stopped me from eating them, hehehe. :b