Friday, September 04, 2009

Guest Chef: Iron Chef Swimmer

This guest chef post is from the fabulous SwimmerGirl, 14, who volunteered to make us all dinner. She planned the menu, bought the ingredients, and, as you'll see below, cooked a wonderful meal. Tonight, I conquistadored the kitchen. I decided to make Baked Penne with Farmhouse Cheddar and Leeks, Brown Butter Soda Bread with fresh garden rosemary, and Cinnamon Dusted Mini Churros with orangeness for dessert. After my wonderful adventure to Whole Foods from which I was rescued, I made the bread dough before mixing the cheese sauce and cooking the pasta. This timed very well, as the bread finished in the oven as the pasta needed to go in. While these two were cooling or baking, I mixed and fried the churro dough. Deep-frying is actually rather alarming, but it was pretty cool. I rolled each churro in cinnamon sugar and then we ate! I think it turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself. And all this only took about three hours, start to finish!

5 comments:

mtnmama said...

This looks awesome - especially the penne - yum. Quite the accomplishment!

Runner Girl said...

Looks delicious! And great job - I'm 36 and still can't manage to time my meals correctly!!

sharleen said...

YUM! Everything looks delicious. I need a guest chef.

sara said...

Nice job swimmergirl!

Anonymous said...

thanks!

-Swimmerness