Sunday, May 09, 2010

Mother's Day

To all the mothers out there--and most especially my mom-- I want to wish you a very happy Mother's Day! This year I made dinner for my mom, taking advantage of the best of spring flavors. We had spice-rubbed grilled chicken, cornmeal-crusted tofu, asparagus, tomato salad with arugula, and rosemary roasted potatoes.
For dessert, we had a tart and creamy key lime pie, along with juicy strawberries dipped in sour cream and brown sugar (one of my mom's--and my--favorites.)
Kt's Key Lime Pie
1 graham cracker pie crust (9-10 crushed graham crackers, melted butter, sugar)
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1/2-3/4 c fresh lime juice, depending on how tart you like it
zest of 1-2 limes
4 egg yolks
3/4 c heavy whipping cream
2 Tbs sugar
1-2 tsp vanilla
lime zest
chocolate shavings
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and zest, and egg yolks until smooth. Pour into the graham cracker crust -- it won't reach all the way to the top.
Bake for 20-25 min., til only the very middle jiggles slightly. Let cool for 15 min., and then chill for at least an hour. Then beat together the whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla til fairly stiff and spread evenly on top of the chilled pie. Top with additional lime zest and chocolate shavings.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

sharleen s said...

I will have to try your KT's Key Lime Pie....my mouth is watering now :)

Kt said...

It really is good. I hope you try it! :)