Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chicken Pot Pi


Yesterday was National Pi Day, and to celebrate, I made a chicken pot pie. While the days are slowly warming up here, the nights still have a bit of chill to them and something warm and comforting like pot pie was just right. The recipe is loosely based on the traditional one in Fine Cooking. I used chicken breasts, shallots, carrots, red peppers, potatoes, and asparagus (I didn't have any peas handy, but I've never loved them in pot pie.) The longest part of the process was waiting for the chicken to defrost in the microwave. But while waiting, I made the pastry in the food processor and then tossed it in the freezer while I assembled the rest. Once in the oven, the pot pie filled the house with the scent of roasting chicken, butter, and aromatic vegetables. I almost burned my tongue when I started to eat because it smelled and looked so good, and I didn't want to wait any longer. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: