Friday, February 06, 2009

Apple Charlotte

Apple charlottes are essentially apple pies, but baked in different containers, using bread instead of pie dough. The original recipe called for day-old brioche, but I used some homemade challah that hadn't disappeared before the sun went down. I used Goldrush apples, but Granny Smiths would work too--you want something that doesn't completely turn to mush when baked. The apples are chopped up and then caramelized in a saute pan with brown sugar and cinnamon, and then they're divided among four ramekins that are lined with bread dipped into a French toast-like mixture of eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. I added fresh ginger to both the apples and milk mixture. I topped these with a creamy vanilla zabiglione.

2 comments:

Cherie said...

I have to try this!

JSA said...

That sounds soooo good! But how in the world did you manage to have left over homemade challah bread? That would NEVER happen in my house!