Friday, February 06, 2009

Hellfire Shrimp

I discovered this recipe for chipotle-lime glazed shrimp, taken from Cook's Illustrated, over at Ezrapoundcake, and I just had to try it out. Chipotles? Check. Limes? Love 'em ... check check. Shrimp? Absolutely. The reality, however, was a LOT more spicy than I'd expected--and I can handle a fair amount of heat. Around the house, these shrimp are now known as hellfire shrimp--tasty, but they'll knock your socks off, almost literally. In the interests of cooking science, and my love of tasty shrimp, I'm going to retry this soon, possibly with different chipotles and/or adobo sauce.

2 comments:

Cherie said...

I love shrimp! This looks so good!

JSA said...

When I cook with chipotle -- I always use less (mainly for the kids) and then if I want more kick/flavor for the dish, I use Tabasco Chipotle salsa afterward. It actually has a great flavor and isn't too spicy (the kids will have nothing to do with it). I make this wonderful dish called "tinga" - it's shredded chicken in a tomato/onion/garlic/chipotle sauce. You put the mixture on a tostada (on top of refried beans if you wish) and then top with shredded lettuce, mexican sour cream, and more salsa... It's sooo good! It's one of the few dishes that my whole family will eat! My in laws taught it to me - it's authentic central Mexican foodl. Oh - and your supposed to add a bit of queso fresco on top as well.