Sunday, February 26, 2012

Baked Apple-Cinnamon French Toast


It always amazes me how a few simple ingredients can come together and taste so good. In this case, some long-frozen challah, an apple, some eggs and milk combined to make a comforting Sunday breakfast on a chilly morning.
I sliced the bread into four thick slices and shingled them in a baking pan.  I then mixed together four eggs, two cups of milk, some brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger etc) and a dash of vanilla, and poured it all over the bread.  You could do this ahead of time and let it soak overnight, but 10-15 min. works just fine.  I tucked the apple slices in and around the bread, covered the pan, and baked it for about 45 min.  At that point, I took off the foil, sprinkled on some pecans, and let it all cook another 15 min, uncovered.  The bread puffed up, the apples had caramelized a bit on top, and the pecans were all toasty.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone