Thursday, April 19, 2012

Almond Joy Macaroons


This post is a little late, but I did make these macaroons during Passover. This is just a little twist on a simple coconut macaroon recipe. I added sliced almonds into the mixture and then a chocolate kiss on top, after I took the macaroons from the oven. The almonds add a nice crunch, and the kisses mean no dipping in chocolate, which can be messy (and dangerous, when some of the cookies fall into the chocolate and you have to eat the less pretty ones).
 
Almond Joy Macaroons
(based on Mark Bittman's Minimalist Macaroons)
 

2/3 c sugar (I used vanilla sugar and skipped the vanilla below)
2 c unsweetened coconut
2/3 c sliced almonds
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
approx. 24 chocolate kisses (optional but good)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the sugar, coconut, almonds, egg whites, vanilla, and salt together in a bowl.  Using a 1/8 c measuring cup (or spoons, or your fingers), scoop out the coconut mixture onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.  Bake for 15 min., or til lightly browned.  Remove from the oven and place an upside down kiss on top of each macaroon.  Let cool completely.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Katty said...

How did I miss these previously? I must try! >>^..^<<