Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cream Biscuits

Summer is nearly over, and I'm back.  It's been a busy few months, and somehow time got away from me.  I have tons of tasty food pics just waiting to be posted, so don't be surprised if you see fresh corn and tomatoes in the middle of November.  In the meantime, I give you these cream biscuits.  They're probably the easiest biscuits you'll ever make--and so very good.  There's no butter (or shortening or lard even) to cut in, so they come together in no time at all.  The recipe, from Sara Moulton, calls for heavy cream, but I've used light cream just as well.  I also use slightly less baking powder than is called for, as the full amount tasted a bit too metallic to me.  Make these--don't make them all the time, or at least don't blame me if you do--but they're so good, and so easy, that you'll want to.

Cream Biscuits
(based on Sara Moulton's recipe)

2 c all-purpose flour
3/4-1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1-1.5 c heavy cream (light will work too)

In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Then pour in about 1 cup of the cream, stirring with a fork and slowly adding more cream til it all comes together.  Gently knead the dough a few times--you don't want to overwork it, but you want it to be well-blended--and form it into a ball.  Flatten the ball somewhat and slice it into eight wedges.  Or you can do what I did and make two balls and 16 smaller wedges.  Put them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 20 min. or so, til pale golden.  Let cool slightly on a wire rack, or risk your fingers (and mouth) and eat them hot out of the oven.

No comments: