Sunday, October 14, 2012

Apple Cobbler-Stuffed Apples

Baked apples are so simple, and so good--so I decided to go one step further.  I hollowed out honey crisp apples from the stem end, leaving the bottom part intact, and I chopped up the scooped-out apple and sauteed it briefly in butter, adding a little brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger.  I used that mixture to refill the apples as much as possible.  Because the apple pieces had cooked down (and the stem was gone), there was more space for the topping--a mixture of soft butter, oats, brown sugar, chopped walnuts, and cinnamon.  I filled the apples the rest of the way up and baked them, uncovered, for about 30 min., until they were soft.  Serve warm, with vanilla ice cream, a drizzle of cream, or, as we did, just by themselves. They're not really photogenic, but they still taste good.
                                                       Before they went into the oven ...

No comments: