Sunday, October 07, 2012

Chicken Burgers with Red Cabbage Slaw and Apples

Sometimes you need to switch things up a bit with chicken.  I love it, and eat it more than any other meat, but it's easy to get stuck in a chicken rut.  I saw this recipe in Fine Cooking and was inspired to try it.  I used ground chicken breast, which they said not to do, but the burgers were still moist and flavorful.  Sometimes you have to go with what's available--and to that end, I left out the celery, because I didn't have any.  The finely diced apple in the burgers doesn't jump out as apply, but it helps keep the burgers juicy and light.  I added freshly grated ginger to both the burger mixture and the slaw--because it's good with almost everything, and I wanted a little more kick--and I added about a tablespoon of light brown sugar to the slaw for a little bit of a sweet and sour effect.  I served this with roasted acorn that was drizzled with a balsamic reduction.

No comments: